I landed at Cancun airport early December 2021 and definitely wanted to avoid the resort crowds. So I decided that my first Mexican stop would to in Puerto Morelos, a more typical fishing Mexican town, a few kilometers south from Cancún.
How to get to Puerto Morelos?
I booked a Hotel shared shuttle (US $ 20) booked on the airport website. Two guys with a bright orange sign “Cancun shuttle” were waiting for me. 20 minutes later, a driver with a big van arrived and… I was actually alone for the whole journey (about 30minutes)! Nice start!
What to do in Puerto Morelos?
- Puerto Morelos is a perfect place to go snorkeling or diving on the Mesoamerican coral reef (the second largest in the world!)… if the weather is not bad. Several companies are organising excursions. Very easy to find: just ask your hotel or show up to the main dock.
- Go for a walk, a run, a yoga session at sunrise or a relaxing massage, for instance at Akabal Spa (twice as cheap as in Tulum or Cancun!) on the very nice and quiet main beach.
- The city centre is very cute. Discover the leaning lighthouse, the zócalo (main square), the big town letters, the church and more.
Where to eat in Puerto Morelos?
- Breakfast at Cafe de Amancia, many nice fresh juices
- Lunch or cocktail time at La Petita en la Playita – Try to get seats on the wooden terrace for the nice view!
- Dinner at El Merkadito for delicious fish tacos
Where to sleep in Puerto Morelos?
I stayed at Hotel Ojo de Agua. Although not with the highest ranking, I chose this hotel as the price was good (MXN 2,479.72 for 2 nights) and its amazing location right by the beach. The room and bathroom were spacious, the terrace was nice but most furniture could indeed be refreshed a bit.
Useful tips in Puerto Morelos:
- There’s a large CHEDRAUI in the centre, useful to buy Reef Safe Sunscreen, aftersun lotion, and anti-bug sprays if you are travelling light (and without liquid bottles higher than 100ml!) like me
- Several ATMs in US dollars and Mexican pesos also in the centre here
- Collectivos leave from the Jardin Principal (in front of Café de Amancia) to the Pueblo (MXN 10), where you can take other collectivos to Playa del Carmen (MXN 40) or Tulum. Be careful, the ADO bus stop doesn’t exist anymore.
- Btw I spent 30 minutes in Playa del Carmen on the way to my next stop (check out: 2 days in Bacalar) and the place is definitely not for me. But your perfect holiday is shopping, and going to beach clubs, it may be for you! Also the spot to go to Cozumel and explore the reef further.
All recommendations are mine, no ads. Prices from December 2021.
3 thoughts on “2 days in Puerto Morelos, Riviera Maya, Mexico”