Two weeks in Brazil and Argentina: a dream come true! Here is a summary of my journey and the visits I managed to do between 2 caipirinhas!
3 days in Rio
I landed in Rio end of October to spend a few days in the city I fell in love with whilst watching the Olympics during the summer. I stayed in a rather standard hostel perfectly located in Ipanema: El Misti hostel. In 3 days I had time to:
- Stroll along Ipanema and Copacabana beaches admiring the surfers fighting the cold winds and the cariocas showing off while exercising
- Do a free tour around downtown Rio and Lapa with Free Walkers tour
- Take two cable cars to the Sugar Loaf to enjoy the beautiful view on the bay (and the airport!)
- Take pictures of 30-meters-tall Jesus Christ lying down on the floor
2 days in Ihla Grande
Bumpy shuttle and ferry rides (booked from our hostel) took me to paradise: the stunning car and road-free island of Ihla Grande! My first afternoon in paradise was spent on the beautiful beach of Praia de Lopes Mendes. After a very nice meal on the beach and a very good night at Pousada Casablanca, I walked to the small beach of Praia da Julia to find myself nearly alone sunbathing and swimming. I wish I could have stayed longer!
More info about 5 days in Rio and Ihla Grande here.
2 days in São Paulo
A ferry and a mini-van took me to Paraty for a couple of hours.
Another bus later, I arrived in Sao Paulo. The plan was not to stay for a long time in the cities as I much prefer nature. What did I do?
- Discover the mini jungle of the Parque Trianon
- Stroll down Avenida Paulista
- Explore downtown São Paulo: Pátio do Colégio, Catedral Metroplitana (and its numerous beggers), Praça da Sé
- Enjoy the lively market area on a Saturday (and taste tropical fruits!)
- Take the viaduto do Chá (transported from Belgium !) to the Theatro municipal and looking up toward the Edificio Itália and Copan before arriving to the Praça da República
2 days in Florianopolis
Renting a car was totally necessary. After the traffic jam getting out of the airport, time for a rest like at home in a perfect little Airbnb in Lagoa de Conceição. How did I spend my 2 days on the island?
- Lying down on the extremy long praia Moçambique
- Shopping in Lagoa and Floripa shopping
- Staring at the sunset in Santo Antônio de Lisboa
- Trying to hide from the wind in praia Armação
2 days in Iguazu
2 flights later, it’s time to reach the other side of Brazil. The first day was spent in the Brazilian side of the Iguazu falls and the second on the Argentinian side. Such an IN-CRE-DI-BLE place! The images are great but the reality is 1 million times better!
4 days in Buenos Aires
The last part of my trip was in Buenos Aires. I strongly recommend the Play Hostel in the Palermo area: I spent great evenings with the amazing staff and travelers (big up Francisco, Carlos, Freddy, Florencia and Ricardo!). Sometimes strangers you’ve just met treat you more respect than people you considered as friends. I felt like a true princess. My activities in Buenos Aires:
- Discover the very heteroclite architecture of the city and discuss Argentian politics with a truly knowledgeable guide during a Free walking tour
- Read and meet locals in the Jardin Botánico
- Search for Evita Peron’s graveyard in the Recoleta cemetery
- Eat a real Argentinian steak ( big enough for 2!) at Don Julio
- Shop in Avenida Santa Fé and Avenida Florida (Cuesta Blanca is my new favourite shop!)
- Eat pizzas, pasta and ice screams in Palermo
- Say “wow” in El Ateneo
I also spent a day in Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay.
Bye bye South America! See you very soon!
Ps: I should probably have done more in the time I was given but due to specific circumstances I don’t want to get into, I was not able to. Not everything always goes as planned! A lesson learned!