The Iguazu falls are accessible from both Brazil (Foz do Iguaçu) and Argentina (Porto Iguazú). After checking a few guides, it seemed clear that visiting both sides was necessary. And I did not regret it! The Iguazu falls are just completely breathtaking. Here are my advice!
I would recommend you to first start in Brazil and then Argentina (longer, and probably more spectacular).
Foz do Iguaçu
Hotel: CLH Suites Foz do Iguaçu – we stayed in a very comfy triple room ensuite. (Bed in dorm also available) Wide bathroom but stagnating water in the shower. Very nice breakfast. Perfect location to take the bus to the falls.
- From the airport – A very cheap (2.90 R$) public bus n° 120 (TTU) takes you from between Foz do Iguazu Airport to the central bus terminal station (TTU). There are buses every 15 minutes and it takes around 30 minutes.
- From the terminal to the falls – Same public bus n°120 (Parque Nacional/Aeroporto) will take 40 minutes (it stops everywhere) to reach the falls. Price is 60 R$. The hotel also had some deals with a travel agency. More expensive but probably a more comfortable ride.
- Entrance: 63.30 R$ – From 9am to 5pm
- Regular shuttles take you to the pathway along the canyon. First, spectacular views on the Argentinian falls and you progressively see more and more of the falls. Only 3 saltos are actually on the Brazilian side. But it’s from the Brazilian side that you actually have the best panorama on the falls. The last part of the path took us right under the most powerful and highest (82m) fall: be ready to get wet! All together it only takes about 2-3 hours depending on the number of pics you take!
- You will see many cute coatis (a type of raccoon) on the path. Don’t feed them! You could be badly bitten and anyway they find more than enough food in the bins!
- Extra activity: we booked a boat/shower trip called Macuco Safari. To be clear, the price is too high (198 R$ – 53€/58$). But it’s once-in-a-lifetime experience that I would not have wanted to miss: a first quick journey in electric cars, a short walk in nature and then finally a boat trip right INSIDE the falls. Crazy and so fun!
- You will be COMPLETELY soaked. There are big lockers for 10 R$: use them! And bring dry underwear (and clothes obviously). My advice would actually to go in bikini and shorts and change afterwards.
- For pics, don’t do like me and don’t forget to CHARGE you go pro (or waterproof camera) before getting on the boat! I can assure you the pics will be amazing. We saw the film made by the people of the boat: we look so ridiculous but it was great fun!
- Extra activity N°2: helicopter ride! Well not… that was only in my dreams… It must be amazing though! The only thing that I saw flying was .. a butterfly!